1) - The most useful indicator of the degree of democracy reached by a particular society is whether it has a?
2) - Without our two great political parties cutting across economic and geographic interests, democracy as we know it could never have been made to function." The author of this statement probably meant to suggest that?
3) - A study of the causes of the American Revolution of 1776, the French Revolution of 1789, and the Russian Revolution of 1917 best supports the generalization that revolution is most likely to occur when?
4) - The task of economic policy is to create a prosperous America. The unfinished task of prosperous Americans is to build a Great Society. Our accomplishments have been many; these tasks remain unfinished: 1) to achieve full employment without inflation; > to restore external equilibrium and defend the dollar; 2) to enhance the efficiency and flexibility of our private and public economies; 3) to widen the benefits of prosperity; 4) to improve the quality of American life -Lyndon B. Johnson Former President Lyndon felt that the most important first step in the war against poverty is?
5) - The task of economic policy is to create a prosperous America. The unfinished task of prosperous Americans is to build a Great Society. Our accomplishments have been many; these tasks remain unfinished: > to achieve full employment without inflation; > to restore external equilibrium and defend the dollar; > to enhance the efficiency and flexibility of our private and public economies; > to widen the benefits of prosperity; > to improve the quality of American life -Lyndon B. Johnson The speech implies that America' prosperity?
6) - From the point of view of an environmentalist, which is probably the most significant argument against offshore drilling for oil?
7) - Topography deals with surface features of a region, including its landforms and rivers, lakes, etc., and with man-made features such as canals, bridges, and roads. According to this definition, the topography of a region includes its?
8) - Between 1935 and 1957, a period that included World War II, the birth rate rose from 16.9 to 25 per 1000 people. What was the most likely cause of this "baby boom?"
9) - The president of the United States is elected by the electoral college. What type of system is this?
10) - In ancient Athens (Greece) tribes and generals took turns at power. This is an example of what type of political system?
11) - What type of political system is headed by Queen Elizabeth II of England?
12) - The Bubonic Plague of the mid-fourteenth century was the most devastating natural disaster in European History. We now know that this plague was caused by rats that were infected by bacteria-carrying fleas. The rats carried the disease as they were unknowingly transported with cargo ships through trade routes. A third of the entire population of Europe is thought to have been killed by this plague. What caused the Bubonic Plague?
13) - The statement "Today, the dollar is worth about 45 cents," describes?
14) - The theory that government should not interfere in economic affairs is known as?
15) - Under this system, the government owns nearly all the means of production and directs all important economic activities?
16) - The printing of currency in the United States is the responsibilty of?
17) - In order to achieve agreement between employers and employees, labor and management use the process of?
18) - A short period of somewhat decreased business activity is known as a?
19) - According to the theory of supply and demand, as the price of an article decreases?
20) - In order to compute the income taxes you owe the federal government this year, your employer is required to give you a ______ that lists your earnings and withholding for the past year.
21) - Americans pay many different types of taxes to federal, state, and local governments. Choose the best example of a tax that we do NOT pay in the United States?
22) - The major purpose of our tax system is to provide funds for the operation of the government. Taxes are also levied in order to?
23) - A tax on perfume is an example of a(an)?
24) - Susan Johnson earned $15,000 last year. Sam Miller earned $63,000 last year. Both persons were required to pay a special tax of $350. Which of the following terms best describes this tax?
25) - Payments to a worker, his dependents, and/or survivors in the event of retirement, disability or death are generally covered by the system of insurance known as?